“Introduction to Eco Dying Workshop” Two Day Natural Dye Workshop with Diane Kuehn
Introduction to Eco-Printing on Silk
DATE: October 2-3, 2021
TIME: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
$245 plus $45 supply fee = $290
Up to 8 people (4 min)
In this workshop, you’ll learn how to extract pigments from leaves onto silk fabric using heat and direct contact. This two-day workshop will cover:
- Tools to achieve the best outcomes
- Differences in how various leaf species will respond
- Proper bundling technique
- How to set the pigments and dyes
- Use of natural dyes for backgrounds
- How to prepare your cloth
- Use of modifiers and carrier blankets to create variations
We will experiment on sample sized silk fabric to learn the process and variations. Our final project will be to print on a silk scarf, giving you a beautiful scarf along with the sample pieces of silk which can be pieced into a larger project if desired.
Supply fee includes all fabric and scarf needed, natural dyes, modifiers, mordants, and use of instructor’s tools for the day.
Participants should bring:
- Leaves (a list of leaf varieties best suited for this process will be sent out about a week in advance. And a small bucket to keep them in water. All leaves will be able to be obtained locally
- Old cotton sheets or other absorbent 100% cotton fabric to be used for carrier blankets. White or light-colored sheets or fabric work the best. If you don’t have any in your linen closet, start looking at thrift shops. Flannel or cotton jersey work very well. Fabric should be well washed before the workshop.
- An apron
- Notebook and Pen to take notes
- Thin medical gloves if you have them. I will also bring some for those who don’t have any.
Note this workshop will be done outside under canopies. Because of the time of year, we should enjoy pleasant weather, but please dress accordingly.